Every year, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce presents the State of the Community Report. You can think of it as a status report of where we stand compared to other towns and counties. Like anything, there’s always room for improvement, but generally, our community is doing pretty well.
Inspired by the report, here’s my own list of the top reasons I love living here:
- The weather. We are so lucky to have Carolina blue skies most days of the year, making family visits to the M&M Alpaca Farm and eating outside enjoyable.
- The arts. Stop by Shakori Hills Community Arts Center for live performances or a multi-day festival full of music, folk art, food and fun.
- The food. The pizza at Elizabeth’s. The pulled pork at Allen & Son Bar-B-Que. The weekly bounty at the farmers markets. Starrlight Mead’s honey wine. I could go on and on.
- UNC. Sure, I’m biased as a UNC alumna, but you haven’t lived until you’ve lost your voice at a Carolina basketball game or looked through the telescope at the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center or attended a free lecture on campus.
- Shopping local. When I need a one of a kind gift, I go to New Horizon’s Downtown. One of my favorite statement pieces is from The Joyful Jewel, and I have Chatham Charm to thank for my home decor.
- The people. With every issue we put out, I learn more about my neighbors, and I know with certainty that there’s not a more giving, talented, passionate community out there.
I hope you have a wonderful stay in Chatham County – or maybe you’re here for the foreseeable future – either way, welcome to the Southern part of heaven!
– Jessica Stringer, editor